Monday, October 31, 2011

Welcome to My Home, Lord...

This evening was spooling up to be "one of those".  The day itself had gone okay although I noticed my little baby's runny nose getting increasingly worse and feelings were threatening to overwhelm me.  I wasn't too concerned until dinner time began to roll around...

I was feeling lonely here in Delaware, Nate being somewhere in Europe, my family almost as far away in Alaska, and all my Californian friends three time zones away in California.  I was on the phone with my sister getting some much-needed encouragement when it all came tumbling down.  The noise level rose, the crying began, and, as usually happens with me when my baby cries, I began to feel overwhelmed.  Our symphony was in discord.  I begged for silence but I don't think I was heard.  I silently pleaded within myself but that didn't help my baby who was now rubbing his face ferociously and apparently using dinner to paint his eyes red.  Oh dear!

I decided it was important for me to eat and after giving up on feeding the little one, I began to pretend I didn't hear the crying as I spooned dinner into my mouth.  That attempt being entirely unfruitful, I washed him up and held him close.  He was unconsolable and I was quickly having visions of spending most of the night walking around with him as he endlessly expressed his sadness and pain.

I began to sing a song that has always seemed to calm him: Be Still and Know that I Am God.  As I sang, I realized I felt something like a desert inside my soul; a thirsty desert needing to be refreshed.  Dinner was still sitting on the table begging me to eat so I turned on my computer and bid it sing for us.  I scrolled through the list of songs Nate so kindly set up for me and picked my all-time favorite: Holy Roar with Christy Nockels.  This is my song!  It overwhelms me with God's love for me and my heart song sings its response to the King of Kings.  I began to dance slowly to the music and was almost immediately joined by two of my little ones.  We sang, we danced, we enjoyed worshiping our God.  My baby was instantly silent and watched with a smile.  He did his best to dance in his seat and seemed almost instantly to be filled with peace. From that moment, there has been peace in our home... from the moment we said "Welcome to our home, Lord".  Oh, I am so thankful He is aways there, always ready to help in my time of need, always ready to tell me of His love for me!  

"Be still and know that I am God; 
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!"
Psalm 46:10 NKJV

No comments:

Post a Comment