Thursday, October 13, 2011

HAIR CARE... Watered Down (Part 1)

Oh, how to begin! I have been blessed with lots of hair... It grows well and thick which makes for quite a challenge when taking care of it. For most of my early years, I wore it long and braided in a effort to manage what seemed almost unmanageable. As a young adult I experimented with almost every hair cut from long and layered to pixie styles. Right along with the hair cuts I also experimented with almost every shampoo and conditioner on the market from Redken to Pert Plus. I was seeking that perfect combination that would gift me with easily managed, lovely, sleek, stylish hair. To sum up the results of all those experiments, I didn’t quite succeed! 

One of the things that seemed to be a trend with me was a sort of flirtation with shampoos. I would see one, consider it, read the back of the bottle over and over, want it and finally buy it. I would love it! Magically my hair would be wonderful! It was manageable and silky. Until... a few weeks went by. Then, oh, the sadness as I noticed my hair became just that again... my old, unmanageable hair. The infatuation was over just in time for me to finish reading the claims on the back of the next bottle of shampoo. I would impatiently quicken the end of the bottle I no longer loved only to start the process all over again... and again... and again.

About three years ago I began to seriously consider the problem. It seemed to me that any shampoo was lovable at the beginning as it initially washed out any reside left from the previous shampoo/conditioner combination. However, each shampoo eventually left its own residue leading to unmanageable hair once again. Naturally I began to wonder if there was a way to clean my hair without the residue issue. After much research I decided I should try not using shampoo or conditioner at all! I knew it was crazy and I couldn’t find any great success stories on the internet apart from those whose fancy tended in the direction of dreads. That was certainly not my desire! Despite feeling like I was venturing into a potential disaster, I began.

I started out with some clean combs, (which almost instantly became filthy combs) some baking soda, and some apple cider vinegar. Why? Because that was supposed to be the best “no poo” method. I found it, however, to be a bad idea. The baking soda didn’t like to wash out and the vinegar was a bit overboard. So... after a few weeks of playing with the baking soda and vinegar, I put them back in the kitchen and tried water only. It seemed absolutely disastrous at first but I was prepared for a transition period and toughed it out. It helped that I had a partner in crime who was daily encouraging me and laughing with me at the horrid condition of our hair.

By this time, our hair condition required that we discreetly bow out of the local hair salon . Thankfully I was growing my hair out and I could do a semi-decent job cutting Nate’s hair so it didn’t matter too much.

To make the long and difficult story much shorter, we struggled daily to figure out the best way to handle our watered down hair care and finally met with true and happy success about nine months later. It has now been three years since I have used anything but water on my hair. I rarely have a bad hair day anymore and for the first time in my life I honestly can say that I like my hair! It has come with a huge learning curve, some of which I will share later, and lots of patience! Now the secret is out and yes, it is still safe to come and visit! (Smile!) Watch for future posts with more of the “how” details to our watered down hair care!

No comments:

Post a Comment