Thursday, December 29, 2011

Book Review - Deep Nutrition, Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food

I am not entirely sure if this is the right venue to do a book review; however, I think this book, or at least the information contained inside it cover, is important enough to risk crossing the line. If you love nutrition, eating, being healthy, having babies, medicine, healthy children, or anything of the like, read on!

Amazingly enough, this book, Deep Nutrition - Why Your Genes Need Traditional Foods, was recommended to me by Amazon! I always take a peek at the books they think I would like and after reading a few reviews on this one, I made an impulse buy.  One of the Amazon reviews was by a cardiologist who said that he read it once then a second time immediately after finishing it the first time. He now gives it to all his patients!

It is written by a medical doctor, Catherine Shanahan, who practices in Hawaii, and her husband, Luke Shanahan. She had medical issues of her own which prompted her to look past prescriptions and surgery as those were not working in her case. In this book she unfolds her research, her findings, her new approach to treating patients, her success stories and large amounts of scientific information to back it all up.

Honestly, I found it hard to read at points due to the words I could neither pronounce nor understand. Despite all that, the underlying message is clear and vitally important! I don’t want to even attempt to give away the central themes of the book as I would not do it justice. (I should probably read it a few more times before doing this review!) But, I will say that her basis for health lies in nutrition - traditional nutrition. That is the primary weapon with which she arms the reader to succeed against health ailments large and small.

In the beginning of the book she goes to great length describing genetics and how we can affect the quality of the genes we pass on to the next generation as well as the genes that were passed on to us. She talks about intentionally working towards beautiful babies. This may sound funny, but it is truly fascinating when you read about it! Towards the end of the book she goes into great depth on particular ailments from diabetes to dry skin and from heart attacks to sunburns. She covers hormones, allergies, weight, fertility, cellulite, bone structure, wrinkles, and mental awareness to name a few. She explains what is happening under the surface and how you can change the potential outcome.

So, I highly recommend this book! As with all books, I don’t entirely agree, however, I think this may be as close as you can get to an all-in-one health encyclopedia and from the other research and reading that I have done paired with the effects of diet in my own family, I think she is mostly accurate in her findings. Happy reading!

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm...sounds very interesting. There is a book called Fertility, Cycles, and Nutrition that I was thinking about reading, but I may give this one a look, too. See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nathan told me to get this book. I just need to get going....very curious about the details.

    Leah

    ReplyDelete