Friday, November 11, 2011

Farm Fresh Milk


Oh the things that make me smile!

Today was a wonderful day.  We went to Valley Forge with the kids which was wonderful, beautiful and educational.  That, however, was not the event that put the huge smile on my face.  After our cold trek through the hills of Valley Forge we ventured into the Pennsylvania countryside to a small amish farm in the middle of rolling green hills.  There was a small herd of jersey cows frolicking in the distance... yes, they were truly frolicking!  The driveway looked worn showing that others, like myself, had come and gone leaving our mark at this otherwise simple home. We had found the home we were seeking and all my research, anticipation and driving was about to be fully rewarded.  I couldn't wait!

Katie brought me to the barn and began taking gallons of milk from the cooler - a large, covered, metal tub full of milk jugs sitting in a bath of cold water.  It didn't take more than a second for me to notice how different this milk was from any I had ever had before.  It was in clear jugs just as you would find it at the grocery store, however, its color was markedly different.  It wasn't white at all but was a rich creamy color.  I have done some reading on the value of milk and was so excited.  The creamy color in the milk is an indication of great nutrients and vitamins and can only be attained by feeding the cows on green grass.  We, Nathan and I, mentioned how excited we were with the color of the milk only to find out from Katie that the creamy color we were seeing was nothing to the milk that comes in the spring.  Well, now I can't wait for spring to come!

We brought the milk home and had to give it a taste test for dinner.  It was amazingly rich and delicious, almost like drinking cream!  I don't think I can ever appreciate white milk again! We had a carton of store-bought milk in the fridge and I couldn't resist the urge to put it side-by-side with the farm fresh milk and see what the difference really was.


In case you are wondering, the milk is not pasteurized nor will it be.  We are excited to drink it full of the naturally occurring good bacteria which helps us to digest it, gives it a much better taste, keeps bad bacteria away and allows it to sour into yogurt rather than the unpalatable sour that occurs to pasteurized milk (that is if there is any left long enough to go sour).  It isn't homogenized either so we will have to shake it each morning to keep the milk fat mixed in.  Did you know that when milk is homogenized the fat molecules are exploded so that they no longer rise to the surface? Our body cannot recognize nor can it use the exploded fat molecules.

We are so excited to have such a wonderful source of such a wonderful, healthful food!

If you happen to have an interest in reading more about milk, I highly recommend the book "The Untold Story of Milk".  It is very educational and fun to read!   

1 comment:

  1. Hi Shannon. Saw a link to your blog on Facebook, checked it out and loved it! Interesting, fun, and a very pleasant writing style!

    I especially understood this one. We had a milk cow until I was about 11, and I remember the disappointing transition to store-bought milk.

    Keep writing and I'll keep reading...and maybe we'll happen to be in Astoria at the same time some year - I'd love to meet you!

    ReplyDelete